At The Toronto Centre for Sports Medicine
it's not just physiotherapy, aquatic therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, custom made orthotic and brace services but much
We provide comprehensive personalized rehabilitation services for our clients and referring
doctors encompassing the full spectrum of sports medicine and rehabilitation.
- Sports medicine consultation services provided to referring doctors
Sports medicine assessment and follow
up of acute injuries in self referred individuals
sports medicine aassessment of chronic conditions
and injuries such as osteoarthritis
sports medicine case management
appropriate investigations such as radiographs, MRI, ultrasound etc.
sports medicine supervision
of rehabilitation programs
Medical legal assessments and reports including reports for MVA's
(motor vehicle accidents)
- Costs for sports medicine services are covered by OHIP as stipulated by the Ministry
of Health. Costs not covered by OHIP for sports medicine services may be covered by extended health insurance.
- Hands on manual physiotherapy performed by a registered physiotherapist
- Exercise prescription functional training and supervision
is part of the physiotherapy program
- Education is considered indispensable in our physiotherapy
- Physiotherapy modalities such as ultrasound, interferential current therapy,
laser,whirlpool treatments etc.
- Sport conditioning programs are a standard part of our physiotherapy
- aquatic therapy is part of our physiotherapy program
is covered by private health insurance plan
Aquatic Therapy; Water Rehabilitation
Registered Massage Therapy
- Massage therapy is used as a primary form of treatment in many
conditions and is known to promote circulation, muscle relaxation, and healing
therapy is often used as an effective adjunct to physiotherapy and aqa-therapy
therapy is helpful with relaxation programs
- Massage therapy is helpful
in recovering from intense exercise
- Massage therapy is covered by extended health plans
- Our massage therapist uses specialized
massage techniques including:
- Dr. Vodder method of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and Combined Decongestive Therapy (CDT).
- Our massage therapist is one of only 1000 therapists certified in the Dr. Vodder technique in
- In addition our therapist integrates Swedish, Deep Tissue
Massage, and Trigger Point Therapy and is skilled in Shiatsu massage techniques.
Acupuncture is a treatment technique that stimulates energy channels in the body for optimal healing and performance
Acupuncture is often used to speed the healing of many conditions
Acupuncture is used in almost any medical condition including acute and chronic pain,
muscle stiffness, fibromyalgia, myofascial syndromes, allergies, digestive problems and many other medical conditions
- Acupuncture can cut down the required treatment in many conditions requiring rehabilitation
Acupuncture, contrary to what many believe is not painful
Acupuncture can lessen the need for medication
Acupuncture is a medical treatment technique that has gained wide acceptance in the western allopathic
medical community while being very popular with those who want to approach treatment of their medical conditions with a more
is covered by most extended health plans
Acupuncture is generally combined with physiotherapy and may also be combined with aqua-therapy as necessary
Othotics (Custom Arch Supports)
- Custom made foot orthotics or custom arch supports often referred to as just "orthotics"
- Patients may be referred
by their health practitioners or refer themselves for custom orthotics
receive a full sports medicine orthopedic work up to ensure that custom foot orthotics are an appropriate mode of
treatment of their condition
- Custom orthotics are made for
a variety of conditions including many forms of back, hip, knee and shin pain as well as many types of foot conditions.
- We also provide orthotic shoes and orthopedic shoes
as necessary. We suggest you check your private health plan coverage for these additional benefits.
- We use
gait analysis, force plate analysis, and various casting techniques as required to make as accurate a custom orthotic as possible.
- Physiotherapy and custom orthotics are often used
together for maximal benefit.
- Custom orthotics are covered under extended private health plans
- Our custom orthotics are manufactured by the The Orthotic Group.
Custom Braces ACL, PCL, Osteoarthritis Unloading
- Custom made braces for ACL knee ligament or PCL tears allow earlier and safer return to sport after an ACL injury or ACL or
- ACL derotation and PCL derotation braces including the CTi ACL derotation
brace, the Extreme ACL derotation brace, and the Paradigm ACL derotation brace are also available for for PCL injuries
and are provided by Ossur.
- ACL derotation braces and PCL derotation braces such as the Donjoy Defiance and
Defiance III are provided by provided by Donjoy.
- Custom made osteoarthritis unloader braces
of the knee relieve pain, improve functioning, reduce the need for physiotherapy and delay the need for surgical intervention.
- Custom made braces for osteoarthritis include the Unloader XT, the Unloader Lite and The Unloader
One braces also referred to as the osteoarthritis unloader series as well as the CTI osteoarthritis unloader series
braces are provided by Ossur.
- Donjoy also has a line of osteoarthritis unloader braces including the Defiance osteoarthritis unloder and the OA Adjust osteoarthritis
- Custom made knee braces are covered under most extended health
- There is no better place to be fitted with a custom made ACL PCL or osteoarthritis
unloader brace then a centre which diagnoses and mananges these conditions.
Over the counter braces for knee ligament tears such as MCL injuries
and ACL or PCL knee ligament injuries are available for those requiring routine or advanced bracing treatment.
Osteoarthritis unloading braces are also available in over the counter models.
Over the counter ACL derotation, PCL derotation and osteoarthritis unloader braces
provide a less expensive solution to those individuals not covered by extended health plans.
We carry a wide range of over the counter braces to cover most injuries and conditions ranging from tennis elbow to ankle sprains.
Sport Conditioning Programs
- Conditioning programs are available for any sport or activity
- Conditioning programs are
personalized and take into account previous or current injuries and other medical or orthopedic conditions
- Conditioning programs help individuals condition themselves for their given sport prior to the start
of the season
- Conditioning programs are an effective way of minimizing or preventing
injury during sport activities and through the season
- Conditioning programs
help optimize the performance and enjoyment in a given sport
- Psychophysiologic testing is a method of assessing how an individual's thought processes affect their physical functioning.
- The tesing involves computerized tests of attention, biofeedback and neurofeedback (measuring of brain
- This technique is used to help high level athletes and executives optimize
- This technique is also used to help individuals manage stress
by identifying and then modifying how they perceive and react to various situations in life.
- Psychophysiologic testing allows individuals to adopt a program of self regulation whereby they can identify different
states of mental and emotional functioning and switch between them at will. This gives one the ability to chose which state
is most appropriate at any given time. Individuals are therefore able to function at the highest levels at all times
with stress minimized.
- With stress minimized, optimal health follows. We
know that chronic stress even at low levels is considered the cause of most chronic illnesses such as heart disease, obesity,
chronic pain, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and even cancer to name just a few.
- Psychophysiologic testing and self regulation is often necessary for individuals to adopt a healthy plan of weight
loss and the maintenance of life long optimal weight without succumbing to regaining their lost weight.
- Psychophysiologic testing may be covered by some extended health plans under the category of biofeedback